Sunday, September 2, 2012

Nan's Birthday Cake and Cupcakes

My grandmother’s birthday was yesterday so I made her a cake for her birthday dinner while she was in town.
Birthday Cake - September 1, 2012 - 1
Birthday Cake - September 1, 2012 - 2
Birthday Cake - September 1, 2012 - 3

It’s a six-inch vanilla cake with raspberry cream filling, and it’s covered and decorated with vanilla buttercream. I used Wilton’s Decorator Favorites Patterns Press Set to imprint the designs on the top and side of the cake, and then I piped over the lines with green icing. The cake has a bit of an art nouveau look to it.

I also made some little monsters.
Mini Monster Cupcakes - 1
Mini Monster Cupcakes - 2
Mini Monster Cupcakes - 3

I’ve always wanted to make cupcake monsters but I just couldn’t wait for Halloween, which seems like an appropriate time for monsters. Anyway, these are mini vanilla cupcake monsters with vanilla buttercream “fur.” The eyes are made using Smarties on which I drew pupils with a black edible ink food marker. I used Smarties and baking gum candies for noses, and baking gums dusted with green and pink Wilton Pearl Dust stuck on top of coloured toothpicks for the antennae. Some monsters have horns and noses made from blackberry cobbler candy corn. The monsters' wonky teeth are soft gummy candies that I bought at Bulk Barn. The green monsters have an extra row of teeth that I piped on with white icing.

1 comment:

  1. Heather, that's a birthday cake fit for a queen. If she's on a diet she could wear it on her head - you did Nan proud. I love the critter cupcakes. I wonder how many of our tastes have been influenced by Jim Henson, rest his soul. - Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete