Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Eat Me

Well, here it is, my final cake which I decorated last night:



"Eat Me" Flower Cake 1




"Eat Me" Flower Cake 2


As I mentioned in my last post, it’s Devil’s Food chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling and chocolate icing. All those flowers on top are made from icing. I’m especially proud of those big pink roses because I had such trouble making them initially. Thankfully the Decorating Basics instructor helped me thin out the consistency of my icing, which made the roses so much easier to pipe.

If you’re thinking that I wrote “Eat Me” on the cake as a helpful yet tongue-in-cheek instructional guide for potential dull-witted eaters, you’re partly right.  I really just wanted to fill in the empty space on the cake with as little effort as possible after dealing with my too stiff, muscle-straining rose icing, hence the wimpy looking squiggly writing.  The text was inspired by the book Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland in which Alice finds a small cake with the same words written on it after tumbling down the rabbit hole. When she bites into the cake, Alice begins to grow larger and larger until her head hits the ceiling of the hall of doors.

Luckily I haven’t grown any taller or bigger after all these cakes, not to mention all the spoons and mixer beaters covered in icing that I’ve licked over the past month. I think my digestive system and I need to take a break from cakes for a while. But even after getting to the end of the course, after all the mixing and beating and tinting  and piping and offset spatula-ing these past four weeks, I’d be lying if I told you that I haven’t been thinking about and planning my next cake. Because I have. It's just that addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment