Thursday, September 23, 2010

Igor

I survived Hurricane Igor, the Category 1 hurricane that blasted the Eastern region of NL on Monday. My garden gnomes were blown off their big rock perches and onto the ground by the force of the wind, but they fared better than I expected and are still lighting up (they're solar powered). One gnome is holding a little candle that lights up when it gets dark. The other one has a nest at his feet full of bird eggs, which also light up at night for some strange reason. I can see the gnomes in the garden from my kitchen window. One keeps looking at me a little funny, though, like he’s too shy to make direct eye contact so he just grins and looks off to one side. The other one appears to have glugged down a few glasses of scotch and just stares off into the distance. But they were like that before the hurricane.

Luckily, there was no damage to the house from flying gnomes or flying anything-else, other than the little bits of leaves, dirt, and debris that were plastered onto the siding yesterday morning after all was calm again. My neighbour’s fence blew down, though, and this is Day 2 of the power outage  at work. So, no work again today.

My thoughts are with the thousands of Newfoundlanders and Labradorians who are still without power, whose homes are flooded or property is damaged, or who are in danger, have been hurt, displaced, or set back in any way because of the hurricane.

No comments:

Post a Comment