Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas 2009

Merry, Merry Christmas, Internet! As much as I love Christmas, there`s a part of me that`s glad it`s over. All the truffles and fudge that I made (which I have taken to calling "fuffles and trudge")...
fufflesandtrudge1
(Note: This is only a small fraction of the chocolates that I made, and there`s also some of my chocolate marble pretzel bark in there, too)

... not to mention the Top Secret Cheese Tray featuring olive penguin hors d`oeuvres and a cheeseball igloo (both of which I originally saw in a Kraft Canada magazine) that I painstakingly fashioned with my own two hands and served during Christmas Eve dinner...
olivepenguins2

olivepenguins3

....all this frantic treat-making and joyfully gluttonous face-stuffing and gift unwrapping has made me tired, bloated and cranky. But that's Christmas.

Santa did bring me a lot of nice gifts, and two in particular (aside from my shiny white BlackBerry Bold 9000) are worthy of note:
    1. A book called The Lost Art of Towel Origami, with instructions and photographs on how to arrange towels into various shapes like a monkey or a basket. Now I'll be able to impress potential houseguests with my fancy towel-folding skills;

    2. A can of Wonderland Tea with a picture of Alice and the Mad Hatter on the front called "The Official Unbirthday Tea", and in smaller lettering underneath, "Also authorized for real birthdays." I collect interesting tea tins, by the way, but this one takes the cake and will make a nice addition to my collection. My favourite part is the instructions for making tea from the Mad Hatter on the back: "Start at the beginning (and when you come to the end…stop). Pour hot water over one tea bag in your cup and steep for 2 to 3 minutes (we recommend your clock be two days slow). Move down the table to get a clean cup."

For your enjoyment, here is a blurry picture of my Christmas tree:
xmastree4

You can`t see them, but there are character ornaments from two holiday stop-motion animation classics on there: The Nightmare Before Christmas and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. You can probably just barely make out the little leopard-print stockings that I made a few years ago hanging there on the front.

And if you`re thinking, “Gee, that sure looks like a snowman playing a piano there in the bottom left-hand corner of the picture,” then you are correct.
pianosnowman5
He used to bob up and down and actually look like he was playing that piano at the flip of a switch, but he doesn`t bob anymore. He just sits there, singing and smiling, motionless while the music plays and the little Christmas lights blink on the side of the piano. Oh well. I still love him to pieces.

God bless us, every one!

P.S. In case you`re curious about the types of fuffles and trudge, they are as follows, clockwise from top left: Chocolate Raspberry Pecan truffles (flavoured with Chambord liqueur), White Chocolate Coconut truffles, Cookies and Cream fudge (with Oreos), Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough truffles, and the Chocolate Pretzel Bark.

P.P.S. In case you`re curious about the types of cheese on my cheese tray, they are as follows, clockwise from top left: St. Paulin, Spiced Gouda, Smoked Gouda, Port Salut, Old Cheddar, Vegetable Havarti, and the Cheeseball Igloo.

No comments:

Post a Comment